Welcome to our basketball news weekend update, covering scores and stories from February 17th & 18th.
IHSAA Girls Championship Matchups
The Bedford North Lawrence Lady Stars won battles over the weekend in the Semi-State round and will be heading to Gainbridge to face Fishers in the final game of the 4A Bracket. It was a busy Saturday for the Stars, taking down Center Grove in the first game, 50-43. Then later that night the Stars beat Lawrence North, 47-40.
BNL’s Chloe Spreen was impressive in both wins, scoring 20 in the first game and 26 in the second. Karsyn Norman and Madisyn Bailey also had big games, and the Stars are primed for another chance at the State Title.
Corydon Central has also made it to the State Championship in the 3A Bracket. We’ve been tracking these Lady Panthers all season in our rankings, and they’re probably the most impressive overall team out there.
Ava Weber finished the regular season ranked 8th, averaging 21 PPG, 6 RPG, 3 steals and 3 assists a game. Bailey Orme was 27th, Josie Vaughn was 3rd and Alyssa Groover was 157 out of 730 Southern Indiana Girls Basketball Players.
Corydon Central defeated Gibson Southern (47-52) and Indian Creek (48-42) at the Jasper Semi-State.
In 2A, Forest Park will be represent Southern Indiana in the Championship game against Lapel. The Rangers beat Greencastle (65-48) and North Knox (41-33) in Semi-State. Forest Park is the defending 2A State Champions and make to look a repeat next weekend.
Lanesville will be the representative for 1A, having beat Trinity Lutheran (56-41) and Jac-Cen-Del (21-45) in the New Albany semi-state. The Eagles will face Bethany Christian next weekend at Gainbridge Fieldhouse.
Top 25 Boys Basketball Weekend Scores
Below we will show the past weekends scores for teams we had ranked in our Top 25 Basketball teams for Southern Indiana. For some of the teams, we’ll have a little blurb about their weekend.
Linton Stockton Miners (21-1)
- Feb. 17: North Central (Farmersburg) (1A, 11-11) W 88-39
- Feb. 18: Indianapolis Metropolitan (1A, 9-13) W 85-64
Linton continues their unbeaten streak against Indiana teams over the weekend. They’ll remain atop the Southern Indiana Top 25, and probably will so through the regular season. The Miners’ last two regular season games could prove to be tough though, going against two 4A teams from Evansville. Reitz is 15-5, and Central is 7-13. The Reitz game will be tough. Linton is 21-1 on the regular season.
Jennings County Panthers (18-2)
- Feb. 18 @ Bloomington South (4A,15-7) W 76-50
Jennings County come out with another statement win, this time over the Bloomington South Panthers. Lot of expectations that this game was going to be close, but JC came out hot with 24 points from Carter Kent and 17 from Keegan Manowitz. Jennings County continues to prove their one of the best team ball clubs around.
Connersville Spartans (17-4)
- Feb. 17 @ Franklin County (9-12) W 46-32
- Feb. 18 Lawrenceburg 3A (17-6) W 53-37
The Spartans have been on a tear, and other 3A teams should really take notice, they take down Lawrenceburg this weekend, and North Daviess a few weekends ago. At this point Connersville looks like the strong favorite in 3A for a trip to State. The Spartans last regular season game will be against a good Northeastern team, who’s sitting at 18-4.
Brownstown Central Brave (17-4)
- Feb. 17 Eastern (Pekin) (2A, 15-6) W 59-45
The Braves are back to being a healthy team, and they’re even harder to beat now. They are currently on an 8-game winning streak. Brownstown will be wrapping up their season at New Albany, and then a home game against the scrappy 1A Orleans Bulldogs.
Bloomfield Cardinals (19-3)
- Feb. 17 @ North Knox (2A, 4-17) W 69-45
Providence Pioneers (17-4)
- Feb. 17 @ North Harrison (3A, 9-10) W 52-31
- Feb. 18 @ Silver Creek (3A, 11-10) L 49-63
South Spencer Rebels (19-1)
- Feb. 17 Southridge (3A, 12-10 W 29-20
Lawrenceburg Tigers (17-6)
- Feb. 17 @ South Dearborn (3A, 14-8) L 47-52
- Feb. 18 @ Connersville (3A, 17-4) L 37-53
The Tigers have a rough weekend, taking 2 losses in a row from South Dearborn and Connersville. Two equally good teams, but it doesn’t fare well for the Tigers who could be facing these teams in playoffs.
Bloomington North Cougars (14-5)
- Feb. 17 @ Columbus North (4A, 14-7) W 49-45
- Feb. 18 Floyd Central (4A, 6-15) W 78-71
Southwestern Hanover Rebels (19-3)
- Feb. 17 Austin (2A, 4-16) W 65-57
- Feb. 18 Scottsburg (3A, 16-4) W 81-71
North Daviess Cougars (19-5)
- Feb. 17 @ Seymour (4A, 8-12) W 67-41
- Feb. 18 Edinburgh (1A, 12-9) W 78-34
The Cougars are back to their winnings ways, with 2 wins over the weekend. This years’ matchup against Edinburgh was a little more one-sided than it was last year. ND won 55 to 47 last year.
Castle Knights (14-7)
- Feb. 17 @ Evansville North (4A, 7-14) L 56-61
Orleans Bulldogs (20-2)
- Feb. 17 @ Shoals (1A, 10-10) W 40-27
Scottsburg Warriors (16-4)
- Feb. 18 @ Southwestern (Hanover) (2A, 19-3) L 71-81
Eastern Pekin Musketeers (15-6)
- Feb. 17 @ Brownstown Central (2A, 17-4) L 45-59
Greensburg Pirates (16-5)
- Feb. 18 at South Ripley (2A, 11-11) W 53-47
Columbus North Bulldogs (14-7)
- Feb. 17 Bloomington North (4A, 14-5) L 45-49
- Feb. 18 Franklin (4A, 10-12) W 70-58
Bedford North Lawrence Stars (15-6)
- Feb. 17 New Albany (4A, 9-11) W 43-37
Heritage Hills Patriots (15-7)
- Feb. 17 Tell City (2A, 1-21) W 80-25
North Decatur Chargers (18-4)
- Feb. 17 @ Southwestern (Shelbyville) (1A, 3-18) W 67-31
Bloomington South Panthers (15-7)
- Feb. 17 @ Evansville Central (4A, 7-13) W 74-45
- Feb. 18 Jennings County (4A, 18-2) L 50-76
Loogootee Lions (15-7)
- Feb. 17 @ Northeast Dubois (1A, 12-9) W 56-39
South Knox Spartans (14-7)
- Feb. 17 Washington (3A, 11-10) W 55-48
Paoli Rams (16-5)
- Feb. 17 @ Perry Central (2A, 6-16) W 37-34
- Feb. 18 @ Eastern Greene (2A, 7-15) W 54-33
Corydon Central Panthers (17-5)
- Feb. 17 @ Silver Creek (3A, 11-10) W 69-66